Dynegy operates power generation facilities in eight Midwest, Northeast, and West Coast states. Its ISO-NE, NYISO, MISO, ERCOT, and PJM generation portfolio includes over 22,000 megawatts across 34 plants. Their retail arm serves over one million customers. In 2015, Dynegy and Adapt2 formed a strategic partnership to help Dynegy improve its front-office asset management operations, real-time dispatch, plant management, and back-office settlements.
INTENT, CHALLENGES, & KEY FINDINGS:
In the past, Dynegy used disparate software systems and excel spreadsheets for their power trading, scheduling, and settlements operations. The legacy software did not efficiently retrieve the information required to generate accurate hourly P&L, and the spreadsheets required significant manual effort. Dynegy needed a single system which could integrate daily market offer variables into their P&L. Furthermore, they needed a reliable system that provided visibility into the underlying calculations. The inputs necessary for an accurate hourly P&L can change daily, and there can be challenges aggregating them into a common platform. The configuration and data management options within Adapt2 ISO allowed Dynegy to create a custom P&L using their own calculations within a week. This is exactly what Dynegy needed – an hourly P&L that tracks Dynegy’s asset performance, allowing them to see lost opportunities due to poor asset performance, outages, and dispatch. This data formed the basis for asset optimization opportunities. They are also able to give near-real-time feedback to plant operations, allowing them to understand the incremental value of efficient equipment servicing as well as estimated profits due to timely maintenance efforts. Adapt2 continues to collaborate with clients like Dynegy to expand our application functionality.
“Having an easy to use, custom P&L saves at least 2 hours a day. It also ensures that an hourly P&L is generated for every day — maximizing opportunities for asset optimization.” – Seth Zehler, Director of Asset Management
Recommended Adapt2 ISO Plus Modules
- BID ACCELERATOR: Adapt2’s next-generation bid formulation toolkit allows users to create templates for all ISO transaction types, including Generation, Demand, Virtual, and Bilaterals. Submit logic is connected directly to templates, eliminating the latency caused by legacy integration processes. Templates are fully auditable, including the ability to search history and recreate a bid strategy from the ground up. Offer formulas are fully transparent and user-configured.
- UNIT CAPABILITY: Connect asset operators and schedulers to automate the transfer of unit parameters such as heat rates, I/O coefficients, operating minimums, and operating maximums. Decrease copy/paste errors. Reduce the time spent scouring emails or making early morning phone calls. Unit Capability details are instantly available in Bid Accelerator, allowing generation schedulers to formulate daily and hourly offers that factor in the latest operating constraints for a unit.
- PROFIT AND LOSS: Deliver valuable P&L results to your business for all ISO transactions. Configure ad-hoc calculations in Adapt2’s P&L pivot grid, or schedule calculations to occur as the data updates in real-time. Connect to SCADA and trading systems with Adapt2’s standard PL Data API. Create various types of P&L reports, including intra-day, indicative, as-bid, as-burned, and settlement. When combined with Bid Accelerator, Unit Capability, and Adapt2’s inbound SCADA API, P&L can be fully automated and provide real-time feedback on the health of your operations.
- EMPOWER DASHBOARD: Adapt2’s latest web-based dashboard allows schedulers, dispatchers, and operators to track asset performance in real-time. Analyze lost opportunity due to poor asset performance, outages, and dispatch. Deliver immediate feedback to plant operators, providing insight into the incremental value of bringing equipment back to service on time.
- DISPATCH BLOTTER: Quickly enter verbal dispatch instructions with timestamps, dispatcher, and dispatch reason. Generate reports on logged dispatches. Reason codes and dispatch flags are all user-configurable. When combined with ISO Back Office, users can import dispatch instructions into Adapt2’s Market vs Internal shadow settlement module to estimate lost opportunity cost, make-whole payments, and deviation penalties.
- REVENUE ASSURANCE: With Adapt2’s premier Revenue Assurance module, perform shadow settlements and compare the results to the best-available settlement data in a simple Market vs Internal view. Use multiple sources of internal data to create a full shadow and combine with simple rolling averages to deliver month-end estimates. Settlement formulas are completely transparent to the user and support customization for source data and logic. Run shadow settlements ad-hoc or on a scheduled basis.
- METER MANAGEMENT: Rapidly import multiple sources of meter data such as MV90 or integrated GMS data. Design meter calculations to aggregate sub-meters or configure if-then-else logic to submit the best available meter. Manage an entire network of sub-hourly sub-meters and totalize for ISO submission at the nodal or zonal level.
- MAGELLAN REPORTS: Create your own reports inside of Adapt2’s end-user reporting toolkit. Deliver results to your business directly in Adapt2 or through automatic file publishing to a network share, email distribution list, or Magellan Reports Website. All reports are available via web service and API.